FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Am I eligible for WIPSI funding?
In general, businesses, social enterprises and revenue-generating non-for-profit organizations are eligible to receive funding if:
- the business/social enterprise/not-for-profit is located in Nova Scotia and is either registered with an “active” status in the Nova Scotia Registry of Joint Stock Companies (as a business, partnership, company or society) or incorporated by an Act of the Nova Scotia Legislature;
- has been in existence for more than one year;
- demonstrates the need to undertake the training initiative; and
- has at least $25,000 in wages or owner remuneration.
Note: Social enterprises and not-for-profit organizations must be generating at least 30% of revenues from commercial activity to be eligible for funding.
Businesses not generating revenue from commercial activity are not eligible for WIPSI funding unless they are in a sector identified as high strategic value or having strong economic benefit to the Province of Nova Scotia. These will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
Each application is reviewed on its own merit and assessed against how well it meets eligibility, training fit and return on investment (both for applicant and the Province).
Businesses primarily involved in wholesale, retail, and accommodations and food services are excluded.
If an eligible employer is receiving other federal or provincial government funding related to workforce support (referred to herein as “other government workforce funding”, which may include for example: payroll rebate, wage subsidies, labour market attachment funding,) the maximum training funding under WIPSI will be 50% of the eligible training costs (see section 4) less all other government workforce funding. All other government workforce funding must be declared on the application form.
For more details: Download the WIPSI guidelines
Will you submit my WIPSI application for me?
How long does it take for the WIPSI application to be approved?
Typically you will hear back with approval within 4-6 weeks.
How is the WIPSI funding distributed?
You pay for the course initially, and you are reimbursed upon course completion.
Do I have to pay for the course in order to get reimbursed?
Yes. You must submit proof of payment for the entire course in order to get reimbursed.
Who pays the HST?
You pay the HST. This is not covered by WIPSI.
What forms of payment do you accept?
You may pay by credit card or cheque. Credit card payments are preferred and will expedite the process.
May I pay the course fee in installments?
Yes. You may pay the entire course fee at one time or in 2 or 3 installments.
If you pay in 1 installment:
- $5750 upon registration (all to be reimbursed to you if funding is not approved)
If you pay in 2 installments:
- $1500 upon registration
- $4250 ($3500 plus $750 HST) on the course start date
If you pay in 3 installments:
- $1500 upon registration
- $2125 on the course start date
- $2125 on the 1st Monday of week 4
Is there a deposit for the course?
Yes. A $1500 deposit is required in order to register for the course. If you do not qualify for WIPSI funds, this deposit will be refunded to you in full.
Is the deposit refundable if I cannot take the course?
If you do not get approved for WIPSI funding, the entire deposit will be refunded to you.
If you just change your mind and decide you do not want to attend the program then your deposit may be partially refundable:
- If you cancel the program prior to two weeks before the start date, you will be refunded all but a $300 processing and application fee.
- If you cancel the program within two weeks of the program start date, you will be refunded 1/2 of your deposit: $750.
- If you cancel the program with less than a week before the start date, your deposit is non-refundable.
Is the entire course available online?
Yes. All portions of the required training are available online. You can access them when it is convenient for you and work through them at your own pace.
Besides the online training, what other support is available?
In addition to the video tutorials included in the online training platform, you also get:
- how-to videos about tools covered in the course
- weekly live calls
- private group discussion forum
- one-on-one support from your trainer
- 1 live event
Do I have to complete the training in a certain amount of time?
Each course is designed to be completed over a 6-week period.
In order to receive funding reimbursement, you must submit a course completion form signed by the trainer, and the trainer cannot sign this form until you have completed the course.
If you take longer than 6 weeks to complete the course, the trainer will sign the course completion form when you have completed all required parts of the training.
What happens if I do not complete the training?
You cannot be reimbursed for course costs unless you complete the entire training. Once training has started and you have access to the online training platform, you are responsible for the entire course fee.
What happens after my funding application has been submitted by Wired Flare?
Read the email you receive from Wired Flare carefully and follow the instructions. We will provide you with all contact information that you need.
To complete your application, you must submit your financials for the past 2 years by email directly to WIPSI.
At that point, Wired Flare will no longer be able to speak with WIPSI about your application. You should hear back within 4-6 weeks. However, if you need to follow up, we will provide you with that contact information in the email we send you.